Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Sing Off

I just finished watching "The Sing Off" on-line.  I forgot it was actually on TV tonight.  This show was a competition between several a capella groups. For anyone who doesn't know, a capella is singing without benefit of instrumental accompaniment. It all vocal.  There were several groups competing tonight, and a capella singers can really be quite awesome.  For those under 30, you might (won't) remember the "street corner" singers of the 60s with their great harmonies similar to, but not quite "barber shop" quartets.  Guys would just hang out on street corners and harmonize to sing the pop songs of the day.  I just love good music--and that even includes Barber Shop Quartets.

I heard a lot of good music tonight with some awesome harmonies going on.  Some groups sounded far more professional than others, but they all had a good sound.  The individual singers, I think, each did very well.  There was only one group I didn't care for, and that was Urban Legend, I think was their name.  I don't care for rap.  And I didn't care for the very negative sounding message of the song they chose to present.  It sounded way too masochistic for me. 

Other than that, I really thought they were all good.  I think some of the female singers on stage needed to dress more modestly than a few of the gals that performed tonight did, but I tend to be more modest and comfortable with other people who dress modestly.  (Yes.  I prefer men to dress modestly, as well.)  I don't remember the names of most of the groups, I'm sorry to say, but I did like the Yellow Jackets.  I think they might have been the largest group that sang this evening.

However, they saved the best group for last.  Vocal Point just rocked!  They are so energetic and good.  And they received a standing ovation.  I'm a little prejudiced, I suppose.  I have seen Vocal Point (some years ago) perform in person.  My oldest daughter used to work with Vocal Point while she attended BYU.  She was in a school club that promoted them and handled a myriad of other support tasks pertaining to their performances.   Vocal Point always puts on a GREAT show!

Of course, the nine members of the group are constantly changing as they complete their college work and so forth, but they're always a great singing/performing group.  If you get the chance, you should watch "The Sing Off" competition sometime.  You can also find Vocal Point (and I'll bet a lot of other a capella groups) on YouTube if you're interested.

Like I said, I love good music!  Now if I could just sing . . .

No comments: