Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Deceptively Young

On an absolutely perfect and spectacular spring day today, we were passing through Moab, Utah, on our way home. While eating lunch there, my husband and I noticed 5 or 6 really young guys ride up on dirt bikes--the motorcycle kind--all dressed up in protective gear, including some kind of chest protective vests. They looked very lean and high school age.  I even commented to my husband, "Wow!  Those are some really young guys, aren't they?"

He agreed with me.  We even speculated about whether or not they were junior or high school age.  THEN . . . they started taking off helmets and some of their upper-body gear.  I laughed!  All but one of them were grey-haired and at least pushing 50!

If you don't know anything about Moab, Utah, look it up on line.  It's very close to Arches National Park, where we visited last year.  It is a popular area for rugged recreational sports and has a bit of a "hippie" atmosphere there.  People come from around the world to Moab to participate in exploring/sporting activities.  It's a beautiful place.

Anyway, I wonder if those "young, really young" guys would laugh if they knew what our first impression was.

1 comment:

Bob said...

"at least pushing 50"

That IS young!!!!!

(Good to hear from you; obviously you and the hubby have been traveling! Good for you!)